Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Role of Reading

All throughout my life reading books and magazines has come in spurts for me. I'll read the whole thing, cover to cover, and won't hardly be able to put it down. Then next thing you know I won't touch another one for four or five months after that. I think the reason that I am so off and on about reading is because of how much precious time it takes up; realizing that I am not the fastest reader. If I had to choose a word to describe my reading agility, it would definitely be sluggish. I've been thinking that maybe I need to take something on the lines of a speed reading class, but with how slow I read, I'd say the chance of me failing that class greatly outweighs the chance of me passing.

Anyways, getting back on subject here... When I do read a book or a magazine, I think that there is always a couple of squibs throughout that tend to influence me in some sort of way; whether it be the way I perceive something, what products I consume, or the way I curl my hair.

Seeing how what I read and view influences me, I understand why my parents were so strict about what i watched on TV, the Internet sites I went on, and even some of the books I read. For instance, I wasn't allowed to watch any television shows or movies that were rated TV14 and above, I wasn't permitted to visit any sort of chat or Facebook site, and my mom would not allow me to read her Danielle Steele Books. If I was my parents I would have done the same exact thing!

No comments: